By mastering the twelve foundational competencies, educators can build a solid foundation for continued growth. The competencies are a subset of those outlined in the Educator Competencies for Personalized, Learner-Centered Environments, created to empower a growing number of teachers to implement and scale up a transformation of their classrooms into places of personalized, student-centered learning. While Educator Competencies explores many areas, twelve competencies were flagged as foundational and ‘prerequisite’ to all others, including using assessments and data effectively.
Assessment and Data
Use assessment and data as tools for learning and to ensure that students are progressing at rates which result in equity of outcomes
Teachers who use data and assessments effectively:
- use quantitative and qualitative data to understand individuals’ skills, weaknesses and goals in order to design personal learning paths
- administer frequent formative assessment to monitor progress, engage learners and guide decision-making
- incorporate public showcases of portfolios, exhibitions or other presentations as authentic assessment tools
- include students in the creation of assessment tools that clearly articulate criteria for meeting standards
- collect data that can help expose racial inequities and work to close those gaps
Frequent formative assessment can provide the data necessary to assess and address the needs of all learners. Teachers use real-time data to inform students’ personalized learning plans and adjust their teaching. Teachers use a variety of formative assessment tools daily, from google surveys to quick techniques like exit tickets. School teams will be inspired by the way data drives instruction at this school.
Public showcases of portfolios, exhibitions or other presentations can be powerful tools for assessment at key educational milestones. Teachers and students discuss their senior defense, which includes a presentation to community leaders and industry professionals to demonstrate they are college and career-ready. Teachers will get a feel for this type of event through footage of student preparation and presentations.
Learn more about this and other competencies, as well as how to transform classrooms into places of personalized, student-centered learning, by interacting with Educator Competencies for Personalized, Learner-Centered Environments.