Welcome to the “Public Story” section of this toolkit.
The research, tools and applications presented in this section draw extensively from the FrameWorks Institute’s unique communications approach called Strategic Frame Analysis™. This novel approach uses the best methods from the social and cognitive sciences to identify ways to shift the public conversation in favor of deeper understanding and better policy support.
In this section you’ll find:
- A discussion of the best ways to communicate with the public about education reform, especially ways to frame the core story, based on research by Frameworks Institute on public attitudes and conceptions.
- Examples and tips for creating powerful school and district documents that the public will view, including vision, mission, and values statements; and logos.
- Detailed suggestions on how to build a communications plan and interact with the media.
- Practical tips and examples of products for the media, like pitch letters and press releases; as well as original documents such as brochures.
- Advice and resources to help you evaluate your efforts.
- A communications case study.
The Additional Resources section (button in the left hand column) includes sample op-eds; recommendations on how to talk about key education issues and terms; and samples of several types of original documents including Frequently Asked Questions, brochures, and explainers.