This issue brief discusses opportunities in state policy to modernize educators’ professional learning to support a mastery-based k-12 education system. In particular, it challenges state leaders to:
- Convene state task forces to craft a unifying vision and roadmap
- Increase the diversity of the educator workforce
- Prepare teachers for learner-centered, competency-based equity-oriented education
- Redesign teacher licensure and credentialing
- Build balanced systems of assessments that enable learner-centered education
This brief builds on the issues outlined in the seminal piece, Moving Toward Mastery: Growing, Developing and Sustaining Educators for Competency-Based Education which state leaders will also want to check out. This brief is bolstered by two others in the series which examine the role of federal policy makers and leaders in higher education in the revolution of the teaching profession.
Source Organization: Aurora Institute